Saturday 9 July 2016

Mary Smith - lunatic

I was shown a small chest with a text passage dated 1811 that was an inventory of the contents that were kept when Mary Smith was committed to an asylum.

There was also a will that she had made when she apparently had 'sound mind'.

Then a separate inventory dated 1916 when the box arrived at the National Archive that listed all the items that had gone missing over the last 100 years.

So why were these items selected?
Where had they been kept for 100+ years?
What became of Mary?

Since 2007 I have had to clear out 2 homes on my mum's behalf; first our family home and then the retirement bungalow she shared with my father prior to his death in 2010. How to prioritise what to keep? The photos that were thrown away... The wedding dress left in the attic of our family home in Essex... This archive made me think of those things.















No comments:

Post a Comment